LONDON – Mark Anthony Barriga unleashed a blizzard of stinging, punishing blows and scored a very convincing 17-7 victory over Manuel Cappai of Italy in the opening round of the light flyweight division of the Olympic boxing competitions yesterday at the Excel South Arena 2 of the Olympic Park here.The 20-year-old, 5-2 Filipino fighter used speed and flexibility in avoiding the long reach of the 5-7 Italian champion to hack out the commanding win that bodes well of his chances to advance to the medal round against all comers.
He advanced to the round of 16 set Aug. 3.
Continue reading here.
The Philippines‘ Mark Barriga reacts after defeating Italy’s Manuel Cappai in the Men’s light flyweight (49kg) round-of-32 boxing match during the London 2012 Olympic Games on Tuesday. Barriga outpointed the Italian, 17-7, to enter the Round of 16 scheduled for Saturday. Photo by Murad Sezer, Reuters | Story here: http://bit.ly/QURtqM
- Barriga scores first PH win in London Olympics (sports.inquirer.net)
- Mark Barriga win big, fuels Philippines hope for an Olympic Medal (rojan88.wordpress.com)
- Little Pacquiao comes up big at Olympic boxing (utsandiego.com)
- Little Pacquiao comes up big at Olympic boxing (3news.co.nz)
- Salute to the Philippine Team! Go for Gold #GoTeamPilipinas (kalongkong.wordpress.com)
- Boxer is Philippines’ main hope for Olympic medal (sports.inquirer.net)
- Philippine Team All Set for the London Olympics 2012 (rojan88.wordpress.com)