I’m back to my old self running, running and running again. Right now, I am still struggling to get back to my old running form because I completely stopped doing this because I was overwhelmed by my love to travel places around the city using my bike. Yeah, I’ve riding my bike almost 2 years now and I forgot my first love and that is to run.
Now, that I signed up for a marathon this time around, I will need all the tips, motivation and training that I need to get my ass to the finish line once more and having said that it is timely that I read an article again from my favorite running blog site and this makes me want to run more and more. So, for all the runners out there doing a full marathon here’s the 42k Do’s and Don’ts – before Running a Marathon posted by Pinoy Fitness:
1. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! – a marathon is not easy, this requires time and dedication in training.
2. Not worry about the time. You can finish this.
3. This is the most expensive race you’ll ever pay, so enjoy the experience!
4. You must have at least finished a 32k run in your training runs.
5. Wake up 3 hours before the race.
6. Eat breakfast 2 hours before the race. Take in one energy gel 15 mins before gun start.
7. Train with your nutrition system. Your body must get used to the energy gels you plan to bring. Tip: go with same brand, use different flavors. On race day, schedule the times you take in your nutrition.
8. Rest 1 week before the race. This is the best part.
9. Make sure you have at least 7 – 9 hours of sleep during your rest week. Crucial is the last 2 nights before race day.
10. Apply Bodyglide or petroleum jelly in areas where chaffing occurs.
11. Maintain your pace. If you must walk, then walk! There’s no shame in walking in a marathon.
12. Smile in front of the camera and raise your hand when you cross the finish line! Tip: practice your finish line pose.
13. Wear comfortable racing gear, sunglasses, visors etc.
42K Don’t: Read here: http://www.pinoyfitness.com/2011/09/42k-dos-and-donts-before-running-a-marathon/
Follow Pinoy Fitness: @pinoyfitness on Twitter | pinoyfitness.com on Facebook
Good luck to all runners doing there 42K Marathon! See you on the road!