New to training or racing in a group? Here are some principles to keep in mind:
- Communicate with the riders around you, including pointing out any holes to the riders behind you.
- Keep your head up and look beyond the rider in front you (especially on open roads).
- Avoid overlapping wheels.
- Hold your line, avoid sudden movements and try to ride smoothly. For example, do not over compensate when another rider leans on you or touches you with an elbow.
- When getting out of the saddle remember to push down on the pedals, otherwise your bike will effectively slide backwards or momentarily stop.
- If necessary brake when approaching a corner, not when going round it.